Learning the Internet for Second Grade with worksheets
Major Topic: URL’s and search engines
Week/Weeks: 2-3 classes
3. Research and Information Fluency Students apply digital tools to gather, evaluate, and use information. Students:
Plan strategies to guide inquiry.
Locate, organize, analyze, evaluate, synthesize, and ethically use information from a variety of sources and media.
Evaluate and select information sources and digital tools based on the appropriateness to specific tasks.
Process data and report results.
6. Technology Operations and Concepts Students demonstrate a sound understanding of technology concepts, systems, and operations. Students:
Understand and use technology systems.
- Whiteboard and projector
- Computer with Microsoft PowerPoint or a .ppt reader on it
- Basic Internet for 2nd Grade PowerPoint
- URL Checklist Worksheet
- Internet Search Engine Worksheet
- Have the PowerPoint, Basic Internet for 2nd Grade, open on the electronic Whiteboard at the front of the room.
Activity Day 1:
- Discuss PowerPoint Basic Internet for 2nd Grade together as a class.
- Discuss with the students how to open a Web Browser (such as Internet Explorer).
- Allow them to return to the computers and have them practice opening and closing the Internet Web Browser.
- Regroup after a few moments. Demonstrate how to type a URL into the Web address bar.
- Distribute URL Checklist Worksheet and have them work independently at their computers. Once they have reached the Web site, have them raise their hands and check off, stamp, etc. the appropriate area on the worksheet.
Activity Day 2:
- Finish URL Checklist Worksheet if needed.
- After URL Checklist Worksheet is completed, show the second grade class how to get to and use www.factmonster.com
- Distribute Internet Search Engine Worksheet- work on answer #1 together.
- Allow the remainder of the class for the students to find the answers to questions 2 and 3. Use the beginning of another class if needed.