Elementary Robots: Dance Like a Robot Unplugged Activity- FREE Resource



At ISTE '22 this year, I was given the opportunity to share my passion for teaching elementary students robotics with a fantastic group of educators. Being a computer teacher for many years, I even spent my pre-teaching days teaching 3 and 4-year-olds computers in a local daycare here in Western New York before landing my first teaching job, I was excited to share and learn from others. Especially after not being with humans for so long due to the pandemic. Throughout my career, I have been a strong advocate for Computer Science. I was humbled by the experience of sharing the workshop, eRobots: Robots for the Elementary Classroom, with a broader audience outside of my hometown.

Over the next few days, I will share a variety of the resources I have created, either when I was a teacher in the classroom or for this specific workshop.

First up is Dance Like a Robot. After discussing the importance of teaching young students computational thinking, I focused on how our littles learn- they learn by doing. Well, that, and play. Play is vital.

We collectively discussed algorithms and how we can teach such a concept to younger students. During this time, I spoke about unplugged ways to teach students the idea of coding. Our first activity was to program yours truly to walk to the door using nothing but verbal commands.

After a few bugs and laughs, we moved on to the Dance Like a Robot Unplugged Activity, where my participants followed a series of commands to perform a dance.

Little did they know that they would eventually end up dancing to the Bills Make Me Wanna to Shout song- but I never made any promises from the get-go. After, we collaborated and shared ideas of how we could further teach students concepts such as algorithms, bugs, debugging, and programming.

So please, feel free to make a copy of Dance Like a Robot. I recommend duplicating the slides to make the dance come to life. You can also print the activity and hold up one card at a time. It is created as 8.5"x11" for ease of print.





Please, let me know how it turns out. And feel free to share your activities as well!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sphero indi is My NEW Hero and free activity

Creating Online Learning Adventures using Google Sites